Advantages of PvP; a few words

Guest PduJ

Hey all,

On note of Gelmir I decided to write up a little post depicting the advantages of PvP, what it means, what it entails et cetera.

As a first, note that I really see PvP as a group activity, making it perhaps somewhat 'worthless' when soloing. This is not necessarily so, there are repeatable quests around in Cyrodiil which can be soloed, crafting materials to be found which are perhaps somewhat less contested than the regular levelling zones. Also, you could go in there and help defend or attack a keep or nodes (farm, mill, mine), however this fundamentally limits the communication and strategy of your groups.

Groups vary from 4 to 24 players and beyond (multiple PvP groups is very much possible and something we should do in the future).

A short list of what is capable with such a group:

-Run around doing public dungeons and obtaining skyshards (There are slightly more than 40 skyshards in Cyrodiil)

-Attempt one of the five daily quests, granting xp and Alliance Points, these are:

• Kill 20 players (doable in groups of any size)
  • Scout a random enemy Keep (doable in groups of any size)
  • Capture an enemy resource node (needs about 10 people minimum)
  • Capture an enemy keep (Needs a lot of people, 24 min)
  • Capture an enemy Elder Scroll (Needs multiple groups)

So the PvP currency is Alliance Points (the green things), what can one do with these?

• Deploy trebuchets, ballistae and rams for better keep siege or defense
  • Buy repair kits for walls and doors
  • Buy forward camps to spawn closer to where your action is
  • Buy excellent gear

Note that during PvP action, one will obtain a constant stream of incoming mails with random greens and blues (epics at high lvl?) which can be used for wearing or in my case mostly; levelling my crafting.

Now, some guild advantages:

• Hop on Teamspeak and get to know your guildies better while fighting for the Dominion!
  • Increase the group feeling we will need later for raids and learn other people's playstyle
  • Holding a keep slightly increases our guildies stats

And finally:

• Become emperor of Tamriel with own armor style and skill line, making you a true monster on the battlefield!
  • It really is lots of fun in a guild group!

Hope this informs and inspires you to join us on our PvP events, I realise it takes a bit from your levelling curve as levelling in Cyrodiil isn't as effective. Hence why I don't organise these events every day, but come join us weekly for 3 hours to have fun and take names!

Cheers,

Perry

Guest Thomasbee

I went in solo on my alt to get the training done, got brave and decided to go for some easy shards, chipped in with a mage attacking a bunch of skeletons and got myself a nice pair of blue boots.

Also saw the lion's...didn't know there were lions there.

Guest Aeriea

Great summary!  I think you hit the nail on the head by explaining that pvp really brings out some very satisfying co-operative team play.  That's very rewarding to experience.  Also from a personal pov I'd say that prior to the beta tests I'd been slightly ambivalent regarding pvp - but that this changed very quickly once I'd experienced it for myself.  I was awed by how I felt spilling over the broken down walls of an outer wall that a huge group of Dominion allies had been systematically and persistently pumelling over a period of time.  And words can't adequately explain the exhilaration of finally breaking through the inner keep doors to be one of the group capturing an enemy keep. 

In short - pvp turned out to be a really exciting part of the game - and working together as part of a group is what makes it rock.

If you're not sure whether pvp's for you, I'd encourage you to give it a go - and prepare to be wow-ed!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sepirothine

yea ive joined a group and we took two keeps and the nodes that go with it....its very exciting... waiting for the keep gate to get smashed and then seeing everyone charge in fireballs and sparks everywhere :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest neaNicu

and XP guys, XP! Not XP for levelling character but XP for skills.

I worked like a fool 3 hours "grinding" a public dungeon in a group of 12 people to level my destro stuff from 9 to 13. Then gave up because I was loosing my time and the result was too slow.

Then went to Cyrodiil and levelled it from 13 to 21 in 1 hour maybe? Plus some alliance points, gold and some green armor.

It's fun really :) And also if you die (which happens quite often) the only downside is that you have to travel back (and distances are huge) but no repairs!

Took even a shard and a daily quest or something (kill 20 players)! Other shards are deep in "enemy" territory so hard to take probably but at least few shards and solo dungeons / quests are doable for sure.

Oh, I forgot...and also reveived an achievement for conquering a keep or a castle :)

Edited by neaNicu

Other shards are deep in "enemy" territory so hard to take probably but at least few shards and solo dungeons / quests are doable for sure.

If you are sneaky enough, this shards are not that hard to collect. Behind the battlefront people are more relaxed and not so careful. Usually they go solo, seldom 2-3 men groups. By looking at the map you can easily determine highways and chokepoints. In other words, you know where to expect enemy. Sometimes you need to avoid and hide, sometimes to run away and sometimes to engage. If I engage first, it's 95% win. You need to learn how to be in that situation when you determine course of the fight.

A lot of skyshards are in dungeons. If you see dead mobs, obviously there is somebody here. So, I always try not to kill mobs. They are your shield from behind. I sneak by or simply rush forward. Also be ready for 3-way fights. Wait a bit and always attack winning team. I like such solo raids even more then sieges. You can rely only on yourself.

There are a lot of quests in Cyrodiil - in small villages, camps, taverns or even by the road. They are all very simple, but with enemies around it's quite fun to finish them. :)

• Upvote 2

Flavia and Flavius Maro